Edge Xrt, the real-time software platform for building automation & other multi-protocol OT systems
Edge XRT 2.0 provides:
- Extended OT connectivity
- Auto-discovery for easy device onboarding
- A new MQTT API to simplify BMS integration
- Greatly improved performance and scalability
Edinburgh, United Kingdom (June 28th, 2022) -- IOTech, the edge software company, has announced the general availability of Edge Xrt v2.0. This is a major release of its open software platform designed for time-critical and embedded OT applications at the industrial IoT edge. Applications include building automation and other complex data-driven industrial systems.
Edge XRT 2.0 greatly simplifies the development of OT applications and enables faster time-to-market for new edge systems. It is hardware agnostic, independent of the silicon provider (Intel or ARM) and operating system. Users have complete deployment flexibility. They can deploy it as a native application, containerized and/or into a virtualized environment.
With its small memory footprint and efficient use of computing resources, Edge Xrt 2.0 is also suitable for deployment on a broad range of edge devices (e.g. MCU, Gateway, IPC and Server class devices). It is ideal for complex data-driven building automation systems where HVAC, lighting, security, and other electrical systems are connected and communicate over a single platform.
The product’s open APIs make third-party application integration very easy. Major building automation OEMs and ISVs are leveraging the product’s multi-vendor OT connectivity, cloud interoperability and high performance. Combined with its real-time edge processing capabilities, Edge XRT 2.0 provides OEMs and ISVs the capability to create a new generation of protocol-agnostic edge software solutions.
“As a configurable, embeddable, high-performance OT platform, Edge Xrt 2.0 is unique,” said Andrew Foster, Product Director at IOTech. “It provides a rich set of OT and IoT capabilities that our customers, including those developing and managing building automation systems, can easily use to create their own edge solutions. In most cases, this is through simple configuration without the need for lots of custom code.”
The new release adds a number of important features including:
- OT connectivity: In addition to the existing pluggable OT connectivity for Modbus, EtherNet/IP and EtherCAT, BACnet and OPC UA protocols, the platform now supports PROFINET, S7, GPS and BLE.
- For protocols that support device discovery such as OPC UA, BACnet and EtherNet/IP, devices can be discovered and then onboarded easily without any manual configuration.
- A new MQTT API allows Edge Xrt clients (e.g. BMS) to easily manage the lifecycle of connected device/sensors, support read/write OT data access, control device discovery, and resource scheduling.
- When deployed on an Azure Sphere device, an Edge Xrt application can now be dynamically configured and reconfigured via a Device Twin running on Azure IoT Hub.
- IOTech has made scalability and performance improvements to address customer demand for concurrent access to an increasing number of OT devices and their data.
Edge Xrt is designed for high-performance data-driven edge computing use cases across a variety of vertical markets. It simplifies OT device connectivity and real-time data acquisition in multi-protocol industrial environments, such as a smart building management system. It also makes it easy to integrate the real-time edge applications and higher-level enterprise IT and cloud applications.
For more information, visit Edge Xrt.
IOTech builds and deploys vendor-neutral software platforms and tools to support the rapid development, deployment, and management of applications at the IoT Edge helping drive IoT innovation, global market adoption, velocity, and scale. The company’s products address the full spectrum of secure hard and soft real-time edge computing needs, dramatically reducing time to market, development, and system integration costs for its partners who are the supply chains to multiple vertical IoT market domains. IOTech leverages an open ecosystem to collaboratively improve time to market, develop global channel partnerships and achieve pervasive adoption of its software products.
Ken Zeszutko, Z Corp PR & Digital, 321-213-1818 / firstname.lastname@example.org