The Open and Scalable Edge Management Solution
Edge Builder provides a comprehensive, flexible and open solution that helps to simplify and automate the management of edge systems at scale.
Edge Builder provides a flexible and scalable solution for the management of hardware nodes and their edge applications. It has been developed by edge and OT experts to deal with the specific characteristics of edge management and has been built on a foundation of innovate open technologies.
Edge Builder enables light touch provisioning and complete lifecycle management for both edge nodes and their applications. Currently, it supports the deployment and management of containerized applications at the edge and in the future will also support the deployment of native binary applications.
Edge systems are managed from and a centralized Edge Builder controller that can be hosted either on-premise on in the Cloud. Platform independence for both the managed nodes (Gateway, IPC, Server or in the future even MCU class devices) and the Cloud environment (public or private) on which the controller is deployed ensures flexibility and choice for Edge Builder users.
Edge Builder takes a Node-up approach to onboarding and provisioning in contrast to the Cloud-down emphasis of other management solutions.
Cloud-driven solutions such as Kubernetes can struggle with factors such as edge scale, intermittent connectivity, device connectivity, legacy platforms and resource constraints at the edge. The edge needs its own solution – Edge Builder.
Intel has been supporting IOTech throughout the development of Edge Builder. It’s great to finally see a scalable management solution that is addressing both device and orchestration management for far edge systems.- Brian Rodriguez, IoTG Technical Lead, Platform Architect at Intel
Edge Builder Architecture
Edge Builder Capabilities
Edge Builder provides a comprehensive set of edge management focused capabilities which include:
- Centralized management for IoT edge applications and hardware nodes
- Cloud hosted or on-premise solution
- CLI and/or REST APIs
- Edge Builder can manage any application at the edge:
- Containerized applications (non-containerized to come)
- Application deployment, updates and orchestration
- Application monitoring – metrics and alerts
- Lifecycle management – start, stop and restart
- Application monitoring – health alerts, resource usage, etc.
- Edge data monitoring
- OT device / sensor provisioning
- It also manages the Edge hardware nodes:
- Node onboarding / registration
- Install / update node operating system, firmware, infrastructure, certificates install and update
- Monitor the health and status of the node
- Monitoring the node's CPU, memory, disk space, etc.
- Monitoring available logs for issues
- Automatic alerting of issues/errors/failures
- Remote node access via secure SSH tunnel
- Alerts and metrics visualization (both live and historic) for managed application and nodes
The Edge Builder Key Benefits
- Complete Management Solution
- Developed by OT and edge experts, Edge Builder provides a complete management solution for edge systems
- Simplifies Deployment and Management of Edge Systems
- Edge Builder simplifies the provisioning, configuration, monitoring and lifecycle management of nodes, applications, and their connected devices/sensors throughout the lifetime of a system
- Addresses the Specific Constraints of Edge Systems
- Designed to address the challenges and constraints imposed by edge systems such as:
- Heterogeneity of managed node devices – Edge Builder is designed to manage any type of node including servers, gateways, IPCs, and even MCUs
- Resource constraints of node devices - Edge Builder’s edge agent can support the management of node devices with limited memory, disk, and CPU capacity unlike heavier weight alternatives such as K3S
- Connectivity constraints – Edge Builder makes efficient use of network resources and supports the deployment of edge systems with limited or intermittent internet connectivity
- Application constraints – not all edge applications can be deployed in a container or to nodes that can support a container runtime (e.g. an MCU). Edge Builder supports the deployment and management of both containerized and native binary application workloads
- Designed for Performance and Scale
- Edge Builder’s loosely coupled event-driven architecture helps address edge scale (can support the management of 100s or 1000s of edge device nodes and their applications), improve system performance, and reduce network load
- On-Premise or Cloud Hosting
- Edge Builder’s controller is agnostic to where it is deployed and can be run on-premise or in the Cloud (public or private) to provide users with choice on how to centralize the management their edge systems
- Automated Device and Sensor Provisioning
- Automated edge node and device/sensor on-boarding and provisioning removes the need for manual setup and configuration of potentially thousands devices, helping to increase the velocity of solution deployment and reduce rollout costs
- Fully Integrated IoT Solution Pack
- Edge Builder can be used seamlessly with IOTech’s Edge Xpert and/or Edge XRT edge software platforms to provides users with a complete end-to-end IoT edge solution stack
Edge Builder is currently available for evaluation. If you are interested in learning more about the product or to participate in our trial program then please contact IOTech.
Edge Builder Solutions Brief