The full promise of IoT will only be achieved when you combine the power of Cloud and Edge Computing: delivering real value that allows businesses to analyze and act on their data with incredible agility and precision, and close to real-time.
At the Edge key challenges related to latency, network bandwidth, reliability, security, and OT heterogeneity cannot be addressed in Cloud-only models – the Edge needs its own answers.
IOTech is in the business of providing those answers. Our Edge software products are built on open technology as used by thousands of users worldwide. The products allow you to develop, deploy and manage any AI workloads, third-party Edge applications, or your own business logic on any Internet of Things (IoT) edge node with complete deployment flexibility. Our software solutions cover the full spectrum of secure hard and soft real-time Edge Computing, maximize user choice and provide a software foundation for effective collaboration across multiple vertical markets at the IoT Edge.
Edge Computing will power the next wave of business transformation and there is a unique set of requirements for it. The time to start is now. Avoid the risk of getting left behind, talk to IOTech: The Edge Software Company.
Simplifying the Edge
Heterogeneity at the Edge IoT is both an opportunity and a challenge. The solution landscape is highly fragmented: Wide variety of IoT device manufacturers
- Multiple OS choices and variants
- Variety of chip architectures
- Many competing IOT frameworks
- Vast amount of IOT protocols – some proprietary, some standards based, some evolving, some with incomplete implementations
- Varying degrees of device intelligence
- Combinations of new and brownfield systems
There are also many operational challenges at the Edge: Long design lives mean obsolescence must be factored in
- Autonomous operation requires high reliability
- Remote deployed locations require secure remote access for maintenance/debug
- Safety is often key design requirement
- High operational availability expectations mean that patches and upgrades can require weeks of planning to avoid outages
- Faults in the IOT network are difficult to find and fix
The IOTech Advantage
- IoTech Shields Users from Edge Complexity
- IOTech’s ‘open’ software Edge platforms and management solutions “shield” developers and users from these complexities, a software foundation delivering maximum user choice, flexibility, and accelerated adoption of your Edge solutions.
- "Open" Equals Choice and Flexibility
- To maximize user choice all IOTech’s Edge products are ‘open’, which at a minimum, means our edge software solutions are silicon, hardware, operating system, software application and Cloud agnostic. We also have wherever possible adopted open standards for example standard APIs that enable “plug and play” of any software application at the edge.
- Ubiquitous Edge Connectivity
- The edge is where the IT computer meets the OT ‘thing’ and there is a multitude of Southbound ‘connectivity’ protocols which work at or close to real-time. Edge XConnect, IOTech’s Universal Real-Time Data Acquisition platform provides many key standard industrial protocols along with SDK’s to readily allow users to add new protocols. We are making connectivity a configuration versus a programming task and we also provide as standard data cleaning capability as part of the connector! Likewise, Northbound there are multiple clouds and other IT endpoints we provide enabling flexible connectivity to and from these different environments. Both EdgeX and XRT are cloud-agnostic coming with many standard integrations.
- Delivering Time-Critical Performance
- Our Edge software platforms Edge Xpert and XRT cover the full spectrum of IOT Edge ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ real-time needs for all types of applications users will want to run at the edge – for example, closed-loop control, specialist AI and analytics applications – for which we provide access to “real-time” data e.g., millisecond or even microsecond response times, and in the case of hard real-time predictable response.
- Edge Management at Scale
- Edge systems can be both very large-scale and highly distributed. This makes their smooth management both critical and difficult. While today’s enterprise management and deployment systems work very well in Enterprise / Cloud environments, they are not well-suited to edge deployments. IOTech’s Edge Builder provides application-agnostic node and application management at the Edge.
- CPU, Hardware, Operating System and Deployment Flexibility
- There is a wide variety of commoditised hardware available to run time-critical edge applications, from industrial server-class platforms, Edge Gateways, Programmable Controllers and at the ‘far Edge’ highly memory-constrained microcontrollers. IOTech’s Edge platforms and management tools are highly optimised for all “footprint” requirements and will run on any ARM or Intel processor and a wide variety of standard and Real-Time operating system variants.
- A Vibrant Ecosystem
- Getting the edge “right” is not just about technology, it is also about the global ecosystems that support it. A one-company “open” API is not really an open API, and the scale of the problem and the diversity at the edge requires collaboration: an ecosystem.
IOTech supports LF Edge the premier open source ecosystem for the edge; LF edge’s leading project is EdgeX foundry – a vendor-neutral open software platform hosted by the Linux Foundation that provides a common framework for industrial IoT edge computing. The EdgeX Foundry project was established three years ago has huge momentum; backed by some of the world’s leading technology companies and with millions of downloads.